Hi, everybody!!!

It will be very good to share my literary experiences with you!!! Come and tell us about your literary moments!!

quinta-feira, 18 de novembro de 2010

How is your reading experience in English?

Well, I am a literature and English language teacher, so I like so much reading in English. Unfortunately I don't have the time I dreamed about...Reading books in English is something that started in college with English and American literature classes. At the university I had the experience of creating, understanding texts and publishing two poems in a book organised by one of my professors who studied literary awareness. I was a gratifying experience. Later we could read more books in the literature courses and for me who had never read any book in English, it was very difficult in the beginning. It was difficult to feel the same emotions and sensations I had with the books in Portuguese. With the experience and the proficiency in the language comes the possibility of having a more pleasurable relationship with the books in English and I have already felt many good sensations as in Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea, that made me cry and feel sad about Santiago's difficult journey. In Edgar Allan Poe's "The Black Cat" and the "Pit and the Pendulum", for example, I experienced the suspense and fear. Many writings of Thoreau as "Civil Disobedience" and Walden touched me and many others that I will add to this comment as soon as I remember. Now tell me, do you have the same literary experience in English as you have in Portuguese?

Um comentário:

  1. Hello - new follower here. I am not perfect at reading in other langages - however I do have a knack at reading and comprehending - if I don't think about it too hard.

    I don't hear language as well as I see it. Yes strange, but my eyes can make connections my mind won't when I hear someone speaking.

    I love Hemingway -and Poe. I love other languages besides english too - because even if you don't understand each word - you can hear the flavor and cadence and if you allow it - your mind opens and you find you have absorbed something - even if you didn't know you could.

    ResponderExcluir